Recipe by Debi
Okay - so these aren't the most flavourful or moist corn muffins you will ever have but in the "good for you/works for dieters" world, they're pretty darn good. Works very nicely served as a side for a spicey chili dish. The original recipe came from Prevention Magazine.
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower oil
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 3⁄4 cup canned corn kernel, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat 12 muffin tin with low fat cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.
- Warm 2 Tbsp of oil in skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper and cook ,stirring, about 5 minutes, until tender. Add green onions and cook, stirring for 1 minute, or until softened. Remove from heat and place into small bowl. Let cool 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and black pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, egg, egg whites, sugar, chopped green chili's and the 1/4 cup of oil. Fold in bell pepper mixture and corn. Fold into dry ingrediants until just moistened.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin cups. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Gently twist muffins in tin to loosen for easier removal. Remove from pan to cool completely on wire rack.