Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This was handed down from my Mother in-law. I like it since I don't like to make pies. It's always a hit and freezes well for lunches.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg, separated
- Special K cereal or corn flakes cereal
- 8 -10 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- Mix together the flour and salt; cut in the shortening.
- Separate the egg yolk from the egg white. Set the egg white aside to glaze the top crust.
- Put the egg yolk in a measuring cup; add milk to make 2/3 cup; beat slightly.
- Add the milk/egg mixture to the flour mixture all at once.
- Mix together until it holds together.
- Gather into a ball and separate into 2 equal portions.
- Roll out the first half to fit into a jelly roll pan or a large cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle 2 or 3 handfuls of crushed cereal on top of the crust. I just use my hands to crush the cereal.
- Mix the apples with the sugar and spread on top of the cereal.
- Sprinkle the apples with cinnamon and dot with butter.
- Roll out the second crust. Gently place over the top of the apples.
- Whisk the reserved egg white until frothy; brush the top crust with it.
- Cut small uniform slits on the top crust.
- Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
- Glaze lightly with a powdered sugar glaze while still warm if desired.