Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great sweet & spicy marinade for flap steak, but note these are bold flavors and using this recipe as written will get you a bold result. First preference is to have right off the grill, sliced and served with garlic roasted mashed potatoes and lots of veggies. Leftovers are fabulous cold and sliced thin on a salad or even in a lettuce wrap. Because of the honey, it will be sweet and the rooster sauce will make it spicy - so adjust to your particular tastes. I prefer very sweet and very spicy. The shoyu I use is low-so and I keep it in the fridge with fresh ginger, garlic, lemon and orange slices marinating in the bottle and diluted with a little water....
- Stir wine, honey, shoyu, red pepper and rooster sauce together until honey is well incorporated and dissolved.
- Pour into shallow glass container, place flap steak into marinade and tuck rosemary sprigs in and around beef, cover & place in fridge.
- Turn steak every so often if there's not enough liquid to fully cover the meat.
- Marinade at least 8 hours.
- Hint: Optimal results are a 24 hour marinade.
- Later that day -- remove container from fridge and let sit out for 30 minutes.
- Remove steak from liquid marinade and slightly pat dry.
- Grill on BBQ medium high, 2 minutes each side (for medium rare, depending on thickness) to sear and caramelize the exterior.
- I did do this in a grill pan on the stove and found it was necessary to clean the pan in between turning/flipping the steak - otherwise it just didn't seem to get crispy enough.
- I'll be curious to see how it works on a Foreman type grill!