Recipe by Amy - Ellie's Mommie
This is the world's best pancake recipe. It comes from the "American Woman's Cookbook", circa 1938, revised 1970. I learned to make these because my mother's pancakes sank like lead in your stomach. These float like air! I like to serve these with jam instead of syrup.
Top Review by Nisa
Really delicious!!! I tried them out today for breakfast for a change from my old pancake recipe,(really heavy)and WOW!! were they a hit!! allof my family loved them. I'll keep to this recipe from now on. Thanks!!!
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, sift together dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, beat egg YOLKS only.
- Add milk and oil to egg yolks and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Stir dry ingredients into the egg yolk and milk mixture.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Be sure to FOLD and not STIR so that the egg whites retain as much air as possible.
- Measure out by the 1/4 cupful onto a griddle or skillet over medium high heat.
- When bubbles just start to"pop" in the batter and edges are set, flip over.
- Pancake will puff up and rise as it cooks.
- Cook until just golden brown.
- If you are going to hold the pancakes in the oven until you serve them, undercook the first ones so that they continue to cook in the oven.