Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
This sauce is an interesting alternative to a typical red wine sauce and adds a depth of flavor that is quite unique. These steaks are great broiled or grilled.
- 1⁄4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot sauce (liquid)
- 15 ounces beef flank steak, trimmed of all visible fat
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup beef broth
- 4 teaspoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 tablespoons whiskey
- 2 teaspoons dijon-style mustard
- 2 teaspoons chopped parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Combine teriyaki sauce, 1-1/2 t. chopped garlic, vinegar, Worcestershire and pepper sauce in medium-size non-aluminum bowl. Add steak and turn several times to coat. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat broiler or grill.
- Prepare sauce: Stir together cornstarch and broth in glass liquid measure until combined. Heat margarine in small saucepan over medium heat until bubbly. Add onion and remaining chopped garlic; cook 2 minutes or until onion begins to soften. Remove from heat.
- Carefully add whiskey and mustard; stir to combine. Return pan to heat and bring to boiling. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until reduced by about half. Re-stir cornstarch mixture and add to saucepan along with parsley and pepper; stir to combine. Return to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cover saucepan and keep warm while cooking beef.
- For broiling: Place steak on broiler rack; discard marinade. For rare beef, broil 5 inches from heat for about 8 minutes, turning meat halfway through.
- For grilling: Place meat on a grill over medium-high heat. Grill steak for 5-8 minutes on each side.
- Let meat stand 5 minutes. Slice across grain. Serve with sauce.
I made this as written, using a little less than 15 oz. of flank steak. Both 17 yo DS and myself felt the marinade was perfect for our tastes, but then again I am a whimp when it comes to hot & spicy. I used Lawry's teriyaki marinade with pineapple juice. I made 1/2 of the sauce as DS didn't want any sauce and it was a wonderful addition to the steak!! Made for Holiday tag!!
This was great made as written would not change a thing
The steak had great flavor from the marinade. My husband liked the sauce alot but I was surprised with the mellow flavor. There was no kick to it for my tastebuds. I will make this again for hubby but will tinker with the sauce a bit.