Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
In 'Summer Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
- 78.07 ml Bourbon
- 78.07 ml soy sauce
- 44.37 ml sweet vermouth
- 29.58 ml light brown sugar
- 29.58 ml peeled finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 scallion, chopped, white and green parts
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 680.38 g flank steaks
- Whisk the bourbon, soy sauce, sweet vermouth, brown sugar, ginger, scallion, and garlic together in a bowl to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour into a large self-locking plastic bag and add the steak.
- Close the bag and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 8 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator 1 hour before grilling.
- Build a hot fire for direct grilling in an outdoor grill.
- For a charcoal grill, let the coals burn until they are covered with white ash.
- For a gas grill, preheat the grill on high.
- Lightly oil the cooking grate.
- Remove the steak from the marinade.
- Place on the grill and cover the grill.
- Grill until the underside is well browned, about 3 minutes.
- Turn and grill until an instant read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the steak reads 130° for med-rare steak, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a carving board and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Holding a sharp carving knife on a slight diagonal, thinly carve the steak across the grain.
- Serve hot, with carving juices.