Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This flavorful, spicy steak is always a crowd pleaser. And it is so easy to throw together.
- vegetable oil (for oiling grill)
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar jalapeno-stuffed green olives
- 1 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons rosemary
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) flank steaks
- Preheat barbecue to high heat.
- Brush grill with medium coat of oil.(Charcoal grills-before heating/gas grills- after heating.).
- Rinse olives and drain well.
- Mix olives, garlic, parsley, rosemary, and olive oil in blender or food processor until mixture forms a fine paste.
- Separate 1/2 cup to spread on steak.
- Rinse flank steak and pat dry.
- With tip of sharp knife, make shallow diagonal cuts about 1 inch apart on one side of the steak. Then make perpendicular cuts over the first ones to make a diamond pattern.
- Repeat cuts on reverse side of steak.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the olive tapenade paste over both sides of the steak, coating evenly.
- Place on grill; close lid.
- Cook until browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Turn steak and continue to cook until desired doneness. (about 2 minutes for rare, 4 minutes for medium-rare.).
- Remove to clean platter; let reast 5 minutes.
- Cut in thin, slanting slices across the grain.
- Extra tapenade that was not used on steak can be served on the side on toasted baguettes or mix with softened cream cheese for a delicious veggie dip.