Recipe by Chef Kate
By way of Melissa Clark in the Times, a very simple and delicious Cuban style flank steak. It cooks so quickly you can even use a stove-top grill and your kitchen won't get overheated. Marinate it briefly at room temp or longer in the fridge.
Top Review by Outta Here
This goes in the 10 STAR book! Great flavors, but subtle, not overpowering. I will make extra marinade next time to heat up as a sauce. I broiled it, but looking forward to grilling this in summer! Made for Spring 2011 PAC game.
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice (from 1 large orange)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, packed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
Directions See How It's Made
- In a blender, combine orange juice, olive oil, garlic cloves, oregano, cumin, salt, orange zest and pepper; blend until smooth. Pour marinade over flank steak and let sit, uncovered, at room temperature while you light or preheat grill, about 30 minuts. Or you can cover and refrigerate steak for several hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, brush off any excess marinade solids from steak and grill over high heat, turning once, until done to taste, about 3 minutes a side for rare.
- Let meat rest a few minutes; slice in thin slices across the grain to serve.