Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This can be either grilled on the bbq, or a Foreman grill, or broiled in the oven. Pesto can be made a day ahead and stored in refrigerator. Steak needs to marinate for at least 8 hours, up to 24 hours (not included in cooking time).
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup mirin
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons herbes de provence
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley
- 1 shallot
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less according to taste)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- Whisk first six ingredients together. Place the steak in a large zip type plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Marinate for 8-24 hours in the refrigerator.
- To make the pesto, place the first 9 ingredients in a blender.
- Turn on the blender and slowly pour in the oil. Puree until smooth. Add more oil if necessary.
- Season the pesto with salt and pepper. Set aside or store in refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before using.
- To cook the steak, heat or prepare your grill (or broiler). Once hot, grill the steak about 6 minutes per side.
- Allow meat to rest 10 minutes before slicing on the bias.
- Drizzle pesto on top and serve.