Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
For any of you with a George Foreman electric grilling machine...a regular grill could be used too! This recipe is from the "George Foreman's Knock-out-the-Fat Barbecue and Grilling Cookbook!" Sounded mighty tasty to me! Thanks George! (Cooking time includes simmering time for sauce and cooking meat)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup minced green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks, trimmed of all visible fat
- canola oil
- Make the sauce: In medium saucepan, heat oil over med-high heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Saute for about 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the tomato puree, vinegar, honey, molasses, mustard, pepper flakes, and chili powder.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Prepare the steak: Prepare the grill or electric grilling machine for cooking.
- If grilling over coals, sear the meat over the hottest part of the coals, about 2 minutes per side.
- Then move it to a cooler area and cook to med-rare for about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Brush the sauce on the steak just before turning.
- Then brush the top side with sauce.
- If using an electric grilling machine, brush grid with canola oil andplace the flank steak on a hot grill.
- Cook for about 3 minutes for med-rare.
- After 1 1/2 minutes, brush the sauce on the top side.
- To serve, slice the flank steak into thin strips.
- Spoon some of the sauce over the top and serve immediately.