Recipe by SilentCricket
For any of you with a George Foreman electric grilling machine...a regular grill could be used too! This recipe is from the "George Foreman's Knock-out-the-Fat Barbecue and Grilling Cookbook!" Sounded mighty tasty to me! Thanks George! (Cooking time includes simmering time for sauce and cooking meat)
Top Review by Nat Da Brat
This is an excellent way to do flank, i cross cutted both sides of meat, for flavour to permeate more. I cooked the steak on my stovetop cast iron grill (on the ribbed side)and sprayed it with Pam first.. I used a can of tomato paste instead of the puree.I basted both sides of meat as indicated and had plenty of suace left over to drizzle on dish. I Cut the meat into thin strips (against grain)and served on top of Basmati rice and Asparagus. Delicious meal.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup minced green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks, trimmed of all visible fat
- canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Make the sauce: In medium saucepan, heat oil over med-high heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Saute for about 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the tomato puree, vinegar, honey, molasses, mustard, pepper flakes, and chili powder.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Prepare the steak: Prepare the grill or electric grilling machine for cooking.
- If grilling over coals, sear the meat over the hottest part of the coals, about 2 minutes per side.
- Then move it to a cooler area and cook to med-rare for about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Brush the sauce on the steak just before turning.
- Then brush the top side with sauce.
- If using an electric grilling machine, brush grid with canola oil andplace the flank steak on a hot grill.
- Cook for about 3 minutes for med-rare.
- After 1 1/2 minutes, brush the sauce on the top side.
- To serve, slice the flank steak into thin strips.
- Spoon some of the sauce over the top and serve immediately.