Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 2 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks, cut in strips
- 5 tablespoons oil
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons minced garlic or 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 6 ounces sofrito sauce
- 2 ounces capers
- Heat 3 tablespoons.
- oil in skillet on medium, brown meat on all sides.
- Remove from skillet.
- Add remaining oil to skillet, stir in garlic, onion and green pepper and cook until translucent.
- Stir in black pepper, browned meat, tomato sauce, water& sofrito.
- Simmer until meat is tender and shreds easily, about 1 hour.
- Add capers midway.
Kind of mixed this with Alejandro's recipe. I loved the use of sofrito, but I will leave the capers out next time. Carole of Orlando
the recipe has good flavor and texture. skirt steak was too expensive at the market, so i used brisket. this means i had to cook it for almost 5 hours to get the meat to a point where i could easily pull it into shreds. as the liquid kept reducing, i just added a little water.