Prep 30 mins
Cook 16 mins
Taste of Home Magazine, Decemer/January 2003 -- "Moist marinated steak, wild rice, almods and veggies blend together nicely in this colorful main dish salad. years ago, a friend gave me the idea for this recipe and with some tweaking, it's become a favorite of ours." --Freddie Johnson, San Antonio, Texas The prep & cooking times do not account for marinating overnight.
- 4 (1 lb) beef flank steaks
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle Italian salad dressing, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups uncooked wild rice
- 2 (6 ounce) packagesfresh Baby Spinach
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) package slivered almonds, toasted
- Place staeks in gallon sized resealable plastic bag; add 3/4 cup salad dressing. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight. Prepare the rice according to package directions. In a bowl, combine the rice with 1/2 cup salad dressing. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain and discard marinate from steaks. Grill steaks, uncovered over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side, or until meat reaches desired doneness.
- Let stand 10 minutes. Thinkly slice against the grain; cool to room temperature.
- To serve, arrange spinach on a large platter. top with the rice, mushrooms, onion, tomatoes, and steak. Sprinkle with almonds; drizzle with remaining salad dressing.
This recipe makes a really nice entree. I scaled the recipe back for two people and used a flat-iron steak vs. flank steak. I also used long grain and wild rice and sauteed the mushrooms. Due to our preference, I omitted the dressing on the rice and reduced the amount on the salad itself since the meat had been marinated in the dressing as well. Made for the Newest Zaar tag, January, 2012.