Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Cooking Thin with Chef Kathleen by Kathleen Daelemans. This is DH's favorite summer recipe, little does he know it's good for him. Make extra, the leftovers are great for a take to work lunch.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large vidalia onions, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and sliced
- 6 focaccia bread, buns cut in half horizontally
- 4 tablespoons la victoria salsa verde
- Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper on both sides. Place in a sealable plastic bag. Add lime juice and olive oil. Seal bag. Shake and turn until lime juice and olive oil are evenly distributed. Place in refrigerator for 1/2 hour.
- In a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat, heat 1 TBS of marinade from the bag with the steak. Add steak to pan and saute until medium rare, 5-7 min per side. You may add extra marinade if necessary.
- Remove steak from pan and let rest on cutting board for 10 minute.
- Add onions to pan with any remaining marinade. Saute until onions are soft and translucent, 8-10 minutes.
- Cut steak into thin slices across the grain. Place 1 tomato slice on each bun bottom. Lay 5 to 7 thin slices of steak (3 oz per person) over each tomato slice. Top each sandwich with onions and 2 tsp salsa verde and a bun top. Serve immediately.
Fabulous! DH LOVED this. I used a focaccia loaf from Panera and cut it into quarters. My favorite part were the onions, oh my! I think I will make extra marinade and use an extra onion next time. I really could eat the onions all by themselves.