Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
This is from TOH. I think this would be a great OAMC recipe! I haven't tried it yet. 4 servings.
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 1⁄2 lbs flank steaks
- 4 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained
- Place bacon on a microwave-safe plate lined with paper towels. Cover with another paper towel and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until partially cooked.
- Meanwhile, cut steak horizontally from a long side to within ½ inch of opposite side. Open meat so it lays flat; cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to ¼ inch thickness.
- Remove plastic. Place spinach over steak to within 1 inch of edges; top with red peppers. With the grain of the meat going from left to right, roll up jelly-roll style. Wrap bacon strips around beef; secure with toothpicks. Slice beef across the grain into eight slices.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or until meat reaches desired doneness. Discard toothpicks.
I have a cookbook with this recipe in it, and we love them! It is such a great blend of flavors and relatively easy for how nice they look. The spinach seems like too much to first, but it isn't, it cooks down a lot. I use 3-4 toothpicks per pinwheel, just to make sure they are easy to flip and don't fall apart on the grill. Just make sure that all of the toothpicks are out before you serve them.