Recipe by tabasco0697
Once flank steak or as it's also called London Broil can easily be placed in a marinade and baked at a high temp in the oven. This recipe makes a great gravy as well. This is a tasty, easy marinade that can also be used for a number of cuts of beef. I've put the minimum marinade time in the prep time
- 2 lbs flank steaks (or London Broil)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oil (extra virgin olive oil or canola oil)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 6 garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed rosemary (or 1 sprig fresh rosemary)
- 1⁄4 cup beef broth (add more if necessary)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water (ice cold)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 475 and place rack in the second position from the top. Place all ingredients except the beef broth and flank steak in a plastic storage bag and shake well to mix.
- Score flank steak on both sides in a X shape. Place steak in storage bag and turn over a number of times to coat. Marinade at least an hour turning every 30 minutes.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of marinade. Place steak in shallow baking dish along with 1/4 cup of beef broth and the 2 tablespoons of marinade. Bake for 30 minutes. Turn and bake for additional 15 minutes. Steak should be medium to medium rare. Do not cook over medium or it will become tough.
- Remove broth from the baking dish and let meat stand while you make the gravy. Add the pan drippings plus the 1 cup of beef broth and pour into a sauce pan.
- In a small dish add corn starch and cold water to make a slurry. Pour into beef broth mixture and bring to a boil. Stir constantly until it reaches desired consistency.
- Slice meat against the grain in thin slices. Serve with gravy.