Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
From Mable Hoffman's Crockery Cookery. I really liked this crockpot dish. Flank steak is lower in fat than many cuts.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb beef flank steak
- 1⁄4 cup sauterne white wine (regular dry white wine isn't quite as good)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10 1⁄2 ounces condensed beef broth
- 1 tablespoon ketchup or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Put steak in crockpot.
- Combine wine, soy sauce, garlic, broth, ketchup or tomato paste, mustard and onion. Pour over steak.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Turn to high. Dissolve cornstarch in water; stir into crockpot. Add mushrooms.
- Cover and cook on high for 20-30 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- For serving, meat should be cut across the grain.
- Note: I remove the meat to a plate and cover with foil. I then put the sauce in a saucepan and heat over med-hi to high heat while stirring so that it's done more quickly than the method stated above.
Yummers! We really enjoyed this meal! We had this with scalloped potatoes and veggies. The only change I made was to use Dijon because we prefer it. For me, I cut it against the grain and it was very tender and not stringy. Also next time I think I would put the sauce in a saucepan to thicken it because it didn't really thicken much. Made for my fellow Kitchen Witch for ZWT5. Thanks!
The sauce is wonderful but due to the nature of flank steak after the long cooking in a crockpot it gets stringy, so I think another cut of beef may have better results. This sauce was wonderful over rice though.