From Mable Hoffman's Crockery Cookery. I really liked this crockpot dish. Flank steak is lower in fat than many cuts.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb beef flank steak
- 1⁄4 cup sauterne white wine (regular dry white wine isn't quite as good)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 10 1⁄2 ounces condensed beef broth
- 1 tablespoon ketchup or 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Put steak in crockpot.
- Combine wine, soy sauce, garlic, broth, ketchup or tomato paste, mustard and onion. Pour over steak.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours.
- Turn to high. Dissolve cornstarch in water; stir into crockpot. Add mushrooms.
- Cover and cook on high for 20-30 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- For serving, meat should be cut across the grain.
- Note: I remove the meat to a plate and cover with foil. I then put the sauce in a saucepan and heat over med-hi to high heat while stirring so that it's done more quickly than the method stated above.