These make delicious sandwiches for quick suppers or lunch. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (October 1981)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons other vegetable oil
- 2 (1 1/2 lb) flank steaks
- 1 1/2 cups sake
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons brown gravy (like kitchen bouquet)
- hard roll (homemade or store bought)
- parmesan cheese (for grating on sandwiches) or other cheese (for grating on sandwiches)
- 1Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add flank steaks and cook well on both sides until browned and crisp. Reduce heat to medium and cook to desired doneness (10-12 minutes for medium, 8-10 minutes for med rare). Transfer to heated platter and keep warm.
- 2Combine sake and water in same skillet and cook over medium high heat until reduced to 2 cups (10-15 minutes).
- 3In a small cup combine soy sauce with water and then add to sake/water mixture along with the Kitchen Bouquet (or brown gravy sacue) and any juice from steak. Blend well and remove from heat but keep warm.
- 4Slice rolls horontally and spread with butter and sprinkle with cheese. Toast in the broiler until golden brown.
- 5Slice steak thinly on the diagonal, against the grain and then arrange steak slices on roll halves. Transfer to a large serving platter and serve with warm sauce.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flank Steak Au Jus Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 500.8
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 92.9 mg
- Sodium 795.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 49.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: