1/2 Photos of Flank and Broccoli
1 hr 5 mins
The herb and spices blend to give this dish a special taste! From Chef Paul Prudhomme's Fiery Foods That I Love Cookbook. Thank you French Bunny, for providing one of the directions on how to scallop the meat. I have also provided another direction from EHow.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1 -1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground dried arbol chile peppers (or chili peppers of your choice)
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs flank steaks, scalloped (directions below)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup medium-diced carrot
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons buckwheat flour, preferred or 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 (13 ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl.
- 2Sprinkle the scalloped steak evenly with 1 tbls.
- 3plus 2 teaspoons.
- 4of the seasoning mix and rub it in well.
- 5Heat the oil in a 4-qt.
- 6pot over high heat just until the oil begins to smoke, about 4 minutes.
- 7Add the seasoned steak and cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes.
- 8Add the onions and bell peppers and cook, stirring frequently, for 12 minutes.
- 9Add the tamari, mushrooms, carrots, garlic, ginger, and remaining seasoning mix.
- 10Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 12 minues, then stir in the flour.
- 11Stir constantly until the flour is absorbed, then add the stock.
- 12Scrape all the brown bits from the pot bottom and stir in the coconut milk.
- 13Cover, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 14Add the broccoli florets, return to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- 15Remove from the heat and serve.
- 16To scallop meat:.
- 17Start with the meat in front of you on a firm surface, with the grain running from left to right. With a sharp, heavy knife held almost parallel to the surface, slide the knife through the meat about 1/4" inch below the surface, at about a 30 degree angle to the grain, and cut off a piece that measures about 2 by 3 inches. Make the second cut right next to the first one, also about 30 degrees from the grain, but in the opposite direction. Continue removing thin ovals down the length of the meat, then through the thickness. Don't hurry, and try to keep the scallops as nearly the same size as possible, so they'll cook in about the same amount of time.
- 18From EHow.com:.
- 19Scalloped meat is the American word for the French term "escalope," according to Food.com. This cut of meat cooks very quickly because it lacks bones and is very thin. Any type of meat can be scalloped: turkey, chicken, pork, beef, salmon or veal. Preparing your meat this way can reduce the cooking time and get your dinner to the table faster.
- 20Sprinkle water onto two sheets of plastic wrap.
- 21Place a single cutlet onto one sheet of plastic on the wet side and cover with the wet side of the other piece of plastic wrap.
- 22Pound and roll the cutlet with the rolling pin until ¼ inch thick.
- 23Unwrap the cutlet and set aside.
- 24Repeat with the remaining cutlets, and cook the scalloped meat according to your recipe.
- 25Read more: How to Scallop Meat | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6960805_scallop-meat.html#ixzz167SAWuLD.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flank and Broccoli
Serving Size: 1 (3059 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 489.2
- Calories from Fat 326
- Total Fat 36.2 g
- Saturated Fat 24.6 g
- Cholesterol 39.8 mg
- Sodium 1269.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 27.8 g