Recipe by FeelinYummy
I live in a beach town in CT and this recipe is from Flanders Fish Market, a local spot made famous on Food Network a couple of years ago. This place is the best seafood restaurant around. *Note: You can use cod,haddock or any white fish of your choice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 8 ounces cod fish fillets
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sweet relish or 1⁄2 cup dill relish
- 1⁄3 cup onion, grated
- 4 dashes hot red pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons blackening seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil to medium-high heat in large, flat skillet.
- Rinse fish in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine flour and cornmeal together and set aside in large bowl.
- Combine egg, milk and water in a medium size bowl and whip together.
- Dip fish into milk mixture and then coat with cornmeal mixture.
- Carefully lay fillets in the hot oil from front to back, being careful not to splash. Using tongs to do this is recommended.
- The oil should just cover the fish. Cook fish until golden brown, this should take about 4 to 7 minutes depending on your stove. To check doneness, break open fillet: it should be white all the way through, with no transparency.
- Serve with Spicy Sauce and wedge of lemon.