1/1 Photo of Flan (Japanese or Asian Style)
Flan! It's a creamy custard dessert with a caramel top that looks cute and tastes delicious. However this is not mexican flan. It's styled how they make it in asia, mainly japan. And in this recipe we'll be using cute teacups because the conduct heat better! If you don't have teacups plastic cups will do fine especially since plastic cups will give the shape of traditional flan. This recipe will make 4 servings so you need 4 cups!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the flan
For the caramel sauce
- 1Put milk on low heat and then add sugar. Stir well and when the sugar melts, stop the heat and cool for a minute. Make sure you don't let the milk boil.
- 2Break the eggs in a bowl and stir well.
- 3Slowly pour the milk from step 1 into the bowl from step 2. Add some vanilla.
- 4Pour the mix from step 3 through a strainer. This makes the flan smoother.
- 5Make the caramel sauce in a pot and stir quickly over high heat. When it becomes brown remove from heat and divide it evenly into the four cups.
- 6Pour mix from step 4 into the cups over the caramel sauce.
- 7Fill a pot with water an put a steamer above it. When the water starts steaming stop the heat and put the cups in the steamer. Don't burn yourself! After 2-3 minutes on high heat lowere the hat and steam for another 13-15 minutes. When you put it on low heat move the lid a bit so some of the steam will escape. The point is to maintain it on low heat. And put a towel under the lid so your flan doesn't get wet!
- 8Poke a hole in the flan with a tooth pick if juice doesn't come out it's done!
- 9Top it whipped or fruit or both for the teacup people and for the plastic cup people tilt it upside down and slide it on a plate brown side up. Trust me it'll be GOOD!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flan (Japanese or Asian Style)
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 219.6
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 154.4 mg
- Sodium 105.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 25.3 g
- Protein 8.2 g