1 hr 15 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
There are a couple of good coconut flan recipes here, but none that are as easy or as fool-proof as this one, which I learned in Ecuador. Not only is it easy, but it minimizes use of utensils and so forth so there is very little cleaning up--and your flan mold will be licked clean.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Make sure that the pan in which you are making your flan can be used on the stovetop.
- 2Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- 3Place the sugar and water in the flan pan (or a tube pan) and heat on medium heat until the mixtures carmelizes and turns a medium brown.
- 4Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- 5Place the condensed milk, egg yolks, coconut and milk into the blender and blend until well mixed.
- 6Slowly fold in the whites until well combined.
- 7Pour the mixture into the flan pan (over the caramel) and place the flan pan in a water bath in the oven.
- 8Bake for one hour or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 9Remove from oven and cool on a rack.
- 10When room temperature, unmold carefully by inverting onto a serving plate.
- 11The caramel will cover the top and run down the sides.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flan De Coco Ecuadoreana
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 589.2
- Calories from Fat 303
- Total Fat 33.6 g
- Saturated Fat 26.7 g
- Cholesterol 119.7 mg
- Sodium 149.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 57.8 g
- Protein 11.9 g