Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This easy flan recipe came from the back of a La Lechera label. They have the best recipes on there!!! I love flan and have tried many different recipes. The secret is to put a tea towel at the bottom of the water bath pan. This ensures a smooth consistency and no little bubble holes (or at least they're small and minimal). This recipe is so easy but so impressive if unmolded on a pretty plate and placed on a footed stand. The optional orange zest in the caramel gives a subtle yet wonderful flavor that will make your guests think they're eating in a fancy restaurant! This can also be made in individual ramekins, but you have to work fast to pour the caramel into many molds while the caramel is still hot and runny. It tends to make a mess...
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place sugar in a heavy skillet and melt over med-low heat until golden. Do not stir the sugar, but you can swirl it in the pan to avoid burning.
- Optional: once sugar is almost completely melted, add 1 tsp grated orange zest and continue swirling until thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour caramel into a 9 x 2 inch cake pan and swirl until bottom is covered. Careful, the pan will get hot immediately, so use a potholder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the warm water and the instant coffee. Mix well.
- Add the milks and the eggs, whisking to combine thoroughly.
- Strain over the caramel in the prepared pan. The caramel will make a cracking sound, no worries! Cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Place a dishtowel or washcloth in the bottom of a pan large enough to hold the flan pan. Carefully place the flan pan over the towel. Add very hot or boiling water to the outer pan, to a level about halfway up the flan pan.
- TIP: To avoid sloshing boiling water, place the pans in the oven FIRST, then add the boiling water.
- Bake for 1 hour, then remove from oven. Let the flan cool to room temp in the water bath.
- Refrigerate the flan until ready to serve. It is much better if made 24 hours in advance.
- To serve, run a sharp knife around the edge of the flan, then place a large RIMMED plate over the flan pan and invert until the flan lets loose and all the caramel flows out. Cut in wedges, garnish with whipped cream and serve.