Recipe by Nanita
My grandmother got this recipe from one of her great-nieces. It's really good and super-easy. We usually make it with yellow cake mix but I'm sure it would be equally good with chocolate. If you can find Cajeta Quemada (A goat's milk caramel made in Mexico-Coronado brand is best) you can substitute it for the caramel topping. Also if you can get Mexican vanilla that's best too. It has a very distinctive flavor. The ingredients for the cake are for a Betty Crocker cake mix. Use whatever ingredients and proportions your cake mix calls for.
Top Review by JulieCHopp
I have a very close version to this recipe that calls for using 2 cans of the evaporated milk instead of just 1 and making the yellow cake mix as directed on the box. Since I am married to a Cuban it would be sinful to make this without the correct "caramel topping", which is just melting sugar in the bundt pan prior to adding all other ingredients. I also baked uncovered in a water bath, chill for 8 hours before flipping.This makes the cake super moist and wonderful!
- 3⁄4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 3 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 18 1⁄4 ounces yellow cake mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray bundt pan thoroughly with cooking spray.
- Pour 3/4 cup caramel topping in bundt pan.
- Whip flan ingredients (eggs, condensed milk, evaporated milk, and vanilla) together with electric mixer.
- Pour flan mixture into pan.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Pour prepared cake mix over flan mixture in pan.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Cool for 15 to 20 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. Caramel topping will drip down the sides.
- Drizzle additional caramel topping over sliced cake before serving if desired.
- Store in refrigerator.