Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
My grandmother got this recipe from one of her great-nieces. It's really good and super-easy. We usually make it with yellow cake mix but I'm sure it would be equally good with chocolate. If you can find Cajeta Quemada (A goat's milk caramel made in Mexico-Coronado brand is best) you can substitute it for the caramel topping. Also if you can get Mexican vanilla that's best too. It has a very distinctive flavor. The ingredients for the cake are for a Betty Crocker cake mix. Use whatever ingredients and proportions your cake mix calls for.
- 177.44 ml caramel ice cream topping
- 3 eggs
- 396.89 g can sweetened condensed milk
- 340.19 g can evaporated milk
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 517.37 g yellow cake mix
- 295.73 ml water
- 78.07 ml canola oil
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray bundt pan thoroughly with cooking spray.
- Pour 3/4 cup caramel topping in bundt pan.
- Whip flan ingredients (eggs, condensed milk, evaporated milk, and vanilla) together with electric mixer.
- Pour flan mixture into pan.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Pour prepared cake mix over flan mixture in pan.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Cool for 15 to 20 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. Caramel topping will drip down the sides.
- Drizzle additional caramel topping over sliced cake before serving if desired.
- Store in refrigerator.
I have a very close version to this recipe that calls for using 2 cans of the evaporated milk instead of just 1 and making the yellow cake mix as directed on the box. Since I am married to a Cuban it would be sinful to make this without the correct "caramel topping", which is just melting sugar in the bundt pan prior to adding all other ingredients. I also baked uncovered in a water bath, chill for 8 hours before flipping.This makes the cake super moist and wonderful!
I would have rated this a five star, as I was familiar with flan cakes and what was missing, placing the bundt pan in another pan, filled with hot water and placing it in the oven making sure that the bundt pan with the ingredients is covered tightly with foil. I used a chocolate mix, and it was terrific.
Used the ingredients given but baked in a water bath and let it chill in the bundt pan before flipping. It was so delicious! Going to make it again tommorrow using a chocolate cake mix. Thanks!