Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Traditional custard with an addition, I really enjoy eating flan. It's an "every once in a while," kind of dessert that you would love to have every day!!
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
- 1 (13 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 dash salt
- Mix 1 cup of sugar and water in heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil oven med-high heat. Boil until syrup turns golden brown.
- Remove from heat; immediately pour into 8 to 9 inch round cake pan, tilting pan to distribute the syrup evenly on the bottom and sides.
- Beat cream cheese with remaining 1 cup sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended, gradually adding milk, beating well after each addition. Blend in eggs, vanilla and salt.
- Pour into prepared pan, into a larger baking pan; place in oven. Pour boiling water into larger pan to come about ¾ of the way upside the cake pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hr and 20 min or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove cake pan from water; cover. Refrigerate several hours.
- To serve, run metal spatula around edge of pan, unmold onto serving plate.