Recipe by MichJ
My dad made this on special occasions, and finally gave me the recipe. Don't know where he got it from, but it's one of my favorite desserts! Caramely and delicious.
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Combine water and 3/4 cups sugar in medium saucepan. Carmelize sugar over medium heat until color is a deep amber. Pour carmelized sugar into individual ramekins (4-6) in even portions.
- Separate 5 of the eggs, reserve yolks, discard whites.
- In a large bowl, whisk together yolks, remaining eggs, and 1 cup sugar.
- Combine milk and cream in saucepan, scald. (Heat until just before boiling, a light skin should form on the top).
- Slowly whisk hot milk mixture into the egg mixture. (This must be done in small portions or you end up with scrambled eggs!).
- Stir in vanilla. Pour evenly into ramekins.
- Put ramekins into a 9x13 pan and fill pan with a water 1/3 of the way up the side of the ramekins.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Let cool on a rack. When cool, run a butter knife around the edges to loosen. Invert onto dessert plates.