Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My dad made this on special occasions, and finally gave me the recipe. Don't know where he got it from, but it's one of my favorite desserts! Caramely and delicious.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Combine water and 3/4 cups sugar in medium saucepan. Carmelize sugar over medium heat until color is a deep amber. Pour carmelized sugar into individual ramekins (4-6) in even portions.
- Separate 5 of the eggs, reserve yolks, discard whites.
- In a large bowl, whisk together yolks, remaining eggs, and 1 cup sugar.
- Combine milk and cream in saucepan, scald. (Heat until just before boiling, a light skin should form on the top).
- Slowly whisk hot milk mixture into the egg mixture. (This must be done in small portions or you end up with scrambled eggs!).
- Stir in vanilla. Pour evenly into ramekins.
- Put ramekins into a 9x13 pan and fill pan with a water 1/3 of the way up the side of the ramekins.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Let cool on a rack. When cool, run a butter knife around the edges to loosen. Invert onto dessert plates.