Prep 12 mins
Cook 15 mins
Flammekeuch is a pizza-like affair with a thin bread crust topped with crème fraiche, fromage blanc, smoked bacon and thinly sliced onion. From the LCBO magazine.
- 1 lb bread dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces smoked bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces grated gruyere
- 1⁄2 cup chopped chives or 1⁄2 cup green spring onion tops
- Let bread dough rise once then flatten and roll out into a 16 x 14-inch (40 x 35-cm) rectangle. Place on an oiled heavy baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 475F (240C). Heat oil in skillet on medium-high. Add bacon and onions and sauté until onions soften, about 3 minutes. Drain fat and reserve.
- Mix together sour cream and salt and pepper. Spread over dough. Top with onion bacon mixture. Dot with gruyere.
- Bake in centre of oven for 15 minutes or until bread is golden. Sprinkle with chives.
Although i did like this recipe, it was way too salty for us. I didn't add the extra salt so maybe i'll have to try it again using "spek" instead of bacon, and less of it. Thanks anyway for a good idea using the dough and sour cream.
Excellent! Made my own dough and made as posted and wouldn't change a thing. Loved the topping - the chopped chives fresh from the garden a perfect garnish. Definitely a repeatable!
This was amazing. I used Rhoads pizza dough and garnished with green onions. I was a little worried about the sour cream but it was so wonderful with the cheese and onions. The flavors were a perfect balance. I made this for ZWT 4 and it will be in regular rotation.