Recipe by evelyn/athens
Flammekeuch is a pizza-like affair with a thin bread crust topped with crème fraiche, fromage blanc, smoked bacon and thinly sliced onion. From the LCBO magazine.
Top Review by Vanja77
Although i did like this recipe, it was way too salty for us. I didn't add the extra salt so maybe i'll have to try it again using "spek" instead of bacon, and less of it. Thanks anyway for a good idea using the dough and sour cream.
- 1 lb bread dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces smoked bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces grated gruyere
- 1⁄2 cup chopped chives or 1⁄2 cup green spring onion tops
Directions See How It's Made
- Let bread dough rise once then flatten and roll out into a 16 x 14-inch (40 x 35-cm) rectangle. Place on an oiled heavy baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 475F (240C). Heat oil in skillet on medium-high. Add bacon and onions and sauté until onions soften, about 3 minutes. Drain fat and reserve.
- Mix together sour cream and salt and pepper. Spread over dough. Top with onion bacon mixture. Dot with gruyere.
- Bake in centre of oven for 15 minutes or until bread is golden. Sprinkle with chives.