Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This can be served flaming but is equally good but not quite so impressive without the flames.
- 12 ounces Baby Spinach
- 1⁄4 cup celery, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves or 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- make a bed of the baby spinach in a flame resitant bowl or platter (not plastic).
- sprinkle celery and onions over the spinach.
- fry bacon until crisp and place in between paper towels to drain.
- remove all but 1-2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the pan.
- stir in sugar, vinegar and spices and bring to a boil.
- Add bacon and cook until slightly carmelized
- pour the hot mixture over the greens.
- at the table warm the brandy and ignite pour over the salad
- toss and serve.