The Flaming Rum Monkey is the favorite drink of character Mary Maxwell in Pat Murphy’s book “Adventures in Time and Space With Max Merriwell.” Inspired by this, a fellow scifi writer Ellen Kalges got together with Ms. Murphy and created the drink. Murphy says, “Hot, sweet, and touched with coconut--I think it tastes a bit like an alcoholic Mounds bar.“
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 pinch ground cloves, to taste
- 1 pinch nutmeg, to taste
- 1 pinch cinnamon, to taste
- 1 teaspoon coconut syrup or 1 teaspoon pina colada syrup
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 2 ounces dark Jamaican rum
- 1 ounce dark Creme de Cacao
- boiling water
- 1 pinch brown sugar, for garnish (flames!)
- rum, of the 151 sort for garnish (flames!)
- 1Warm a mug. (You can do this by filling a mug with boiling water, letting it sit for a a minute, and pouring it out. Or just fill a mug with water and nuke it for about 30 seconds and then pour it out.).
- 2Place into the mug a teaspoon of brown sugar and the cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, and coconut syrup. Add about a tablespoon of boiling water and swish it about a bit to dissolve the sugar.
- 3Add the rum and Crème de Cacao, then fill the remainder of the mug with boiling water. Stir.
- 4Get your kitchen lighter ready. Find yourself a large spoon – at least as large as a tablespoon but it can be a serving spoon, too. Place a generous pinch of brown sugar in the bowl of the spoon, then add 151 rum until it’s just about full.
- 5Hold the filled spoon over boiling water in the mug to allow the rum to get warm (but don’t actually let it touch the water).
- 6Carefully light the rum in the spoon on fire and then oh-so-carefully tip the spoon into the mug’s contents.
- 7As Pat Murphy says, “The mixture in the mug will burn with a lovely blue flame.”.
- 8Carefully – away from any innocent (or not so innocent, mind you) bystanders – blow out the flames and enjoy your Flaming Rum Monkey. Yum!
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flaming Rum Monkey
Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 150.4
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dark Creme de Cacao