Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
An absolutely spectacular dessert! Recipe found in an old cookbook called More Fun and Flavour With Spices. You can use the crepe recipe I'm including or use your own favourite recipe. The crepes can be made ahead of time and frozen. Simply reheat them in a slow oven (I would wrap them in foil to prevent hardening). The cooking time does not include the 1 hour stand time for the crepe batter.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 (19 ounce) can pineapple chunks in light syrup
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- Mix all crepe ingredients together in a blender or mixer until smooth and allow batter to stand for 1 hour or longer.
- Heat an 8-inch nonstick skillet, grease lightly and add 1/4 cup batter.
- Tilt skillet to spread batter thinly in pan.
- Brown lightly on both sides.
- Fold in quarters. (Makes 12 crepes).
- Combine 1/4 cup drained pineapple syrup, cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon, rind and butter in a hot chafing dish or saucepan.
- Stir-cook until sauce is thickened and clear.
- Add pineapple.
- Place warm crepes around edge of hot chafing dish.
- To flame, pour 3 tbsp warm brandy (heated in small saucepan) over sauce and ignite.
- Serve immediately.
I have never been the greatest crepe maker, but this recipe turns my plain old crepes into something really special! What a perfect dessert for guests or just the family. I halved the recipe and it made exactly 6 crepes with the perfect amount of sauce. I would be even more decadent with some fresh whipped cream. Oh! Yum! I'm so glad these came my way. Made for Sept Veggie Swap '11
I made this for dessert (for just hubby & I , so I halved the recipe). The only thing I changed was that I did not have a fresh orange (for the zest), so I used the tiniest drop of orange extract that I could, without screwing it all up. It turned out great!!! Yummy. I made this with 2 other Caribbean dishes tonight (all turned out well). I will post a photo when I get my hands on hubby's cellphone camera... (I believe I got it while it was still on fire)! Thank you for a great dessert to the perfect meal. (Made for ZWT9 - Caribbean)
Oh, this was so good! Believe it or not, I made it for lunch, I just couldn't wait! I just wish the flames would have shown on the picture. Can't wait to make for a dinner party! Made for ZWT9