4 hrs 20 mins
Chris Reynolds's Note:
My mother made her Christmas puddings in late October along with her fruitcake (I know, I know -- Fruitcake? LOL) Making this and eating it reminds me of her and all the wonderful Christmas memories she made for me as a child.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup chopped suet
- 2 tablespoons pared chopped apples
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied orange peel
- 2 tablespoons chopped candied lemon peel
- 2/3 cup chopped candied citron peel
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1 cup currants
- 2 cups packaged dry breadcrumbs (or make your own in a blender)
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup raspberry preserves
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 6 tablespoons cognac
- 1/4 cup cognac
- 6 tablespoons dry white wine
VANILLA HARD SAUCE
- 1In large bowl, combine suet, fruits, bread crumbs, spices, salt, sugar, and preserves. Mix well.
- 2With rotary beater, beat eggs until foamy. Stir in milk, 6 tbsp cognac, and wine.
- 3With rubber scraper, fold egg mixture into fruit mixture until well combined.
- 4Turn batter into a well-greased 2-quart steam pudding mold with a tight-fitting cover.
- 5Place mold on a trivet in a large kettle. Pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of the mold. Cover the kettle.
- 6Steam pudding for four hours. The water in the kettle should boil gently; add more water as needed.
- 7Remove pudding to wire rack and cool 5 minutes. Invert on serving plate; lift off mold.
- 8In a small saucepan, warm rest of cognac slightly. Ignite and pour, blazing, over the pudding. Serve with Vanilla Hard Sauce.
- 9To make hard sauce, beat all ingredients together until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flaming Christmas Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 515.9
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 103.0 mg
- Sodium 268.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 51.0 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
candied orange peel
candied lemon peel
candied citron peel