Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From a 1970's Sunset cookbook, this dessert would be the perfect finish to a romantic candlelight dinner. The ingredients listed makes 2 servings, but can easily be doubled or even tripled if you're serving it to guests.
- 16 ounces pitted dark sweet cherries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream
- Drain the cherries and reserve 1/2 c of the syrup.
- Combine the cornstarch, cherry syrup, sugar, salt and cinnamon in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring.
- Cook until the liquid is clear and has thickened.
- Remove from the heat; add the lemon juice and cherries.
- Warm the brandy in a sauce pan.
- Spoon the ice cream into two sundae glasses while the brandy warms.
- Pour the warm brandy over the fruit and ignite.