Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From The Food and Cooking of Spain, Africa and the Middle East. Posted for ZWT III
Make and share this Flamenco Eggs II recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces bacon
- 2 chorizo sausages, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs tomatoes, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon sherry wine
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 8 large eggs
- 4 slices stale bread
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled not chopped
- Preheat oven to 350. Warm 4 individual baking dishes.
- heat oil in a large frying pan and fry the bacon and chorizo, to give off fat. Add onion and garlic and cook gently till softened, stirring.
- add the peppers and tomatoes and cook and reduce, stirring occasionally.
- Add some paprika and sherry - mixture must not be too dry.
- Divide the vegetable mixture evenly among the baking dishes. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Swirl the eggs together with a fork, without overmixing and season with slat and cayenne.
- Pour over the vegetable mixture.
- Bake the eggs and vegetables for 8 minutes or till the eggs are just set.
- meanwhile, make fried breadcrumbs: Cut the crusts off the bread and reduce to crumbs in a food processor, or use a hand grater.
- heat plenty of oil in a large frying pan over high heat, add the garlic cloves for a few moments to flavor it, then remove and discard.
- Throw in the crumbs and brown quickly, scooping them on to a paper towel with a slotted spoon.
- Season with a little salt and paprika, then sprinkle around the edge of the eggs when ready.
We really enjoyed this- lots of flavour. It was quite simple and quick to prepare. I baked it all in the same skillet rather than 4 individual dishes. There are easily 6 servings or more here for a light lunch with a salad. Depending upon your choice of chorizo this can be as spicy as you like. Thanks! Made for ZWT3.