Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
From The Food and Cooking of Spain, Africa and the Middle East. Posted for ZWT III
Top Review by Raspberry Cordial
We really enjoyed this- lots of flavour. It was quite simple and quick to prepare. I baked it all in the same skillet rather than 4 individual dishes. There are easily 6 servings or more here for a light lunch with a salad. Depending upon your choice of chorizo this can be as spicy as you like. Thanks! Made for ZWT3.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces bacon
- 2 chorizo sausages, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1⁄4 lbs tomatoes, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon sherry wine
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 8 large eggs
- 4 slices stale bread
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled not chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350. Warm 4 individual baking dishes.
- heat oil in a large frying pan and fry the bacon and chorizo, to give off fat. Add onion and garlic and cook gently till softened, stirring.
- add the peppers and tomatoes and cook and reduce, stirring occasionally.
- Add some paprika and sherry - mixture must not be too dry.
- Divide the vegetable mixture evenly among the baking dishes. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Swirl the eggs together with a fork, without overmixing and season with slat and cayenne.
- Pour over the vegetable mixture.
- Bake the eggs and vegetables for 8 minutes or till the eggs are just set.
- meanwhile, make fried breadcrumbs: Cut the crusts off the bread and reduce to crumbs in a food processor, or use a hand grater.
- heat plenty of oil in a large frying pan over high heat, add the garlic cloves for a few moments to flavor it, then remove and discard.
- Throw in the crumbs and brown quickly, scooping them on to a paper towel with a slotted spoon.
- Season with a little salt and paprika, then sprinkle around the edge of the eggs when ready.