Prep 8 hrs
Cook 1 hr
We love warm steamed puddings...they are wonderful on cool evenings and nice enough to serve company. You'll need a steamed pudding mold with a snug fitting lid to steam it correctly. Note that the apricots need to sit in hot water for 8 hours before putting the pudding together. Serve warm with the Apricot Sauce!
- 12 ounces dried apricots, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup brandy
- 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons brandy
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a bowl. Cover; let stand 8 HOURS.
- Beat sugar; applesauce, and margarine at medium speed until blended; add eggs; beating well. Add apricot mixture and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and ginger; gradually add to apricot mixture, stirring well. Spoon into a 6-cup metal mold coated with cooking spray; cover tightly.
- Place mold on a shallow rack in a large, deep kettle; pour enough boiling water into kettle to come halfway up sides of the mold. cover and steam over boiling water 1 1/2 hours, adding additional water as needed.
- Remove mold from kettle; cool pudding in mold on wire rack 15 minutes. Invert pudding onto a serving plate.
- Heat 2 tablespoons brandy in a long-handled ladle just until hot; pour over pudding and ignite. Serve with Apricot Sauce.
- Apricot Sauce: 1/4 cup sugar; 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch; 2 cups apricot nectar; 2 tablespoons brandy. Combine sugar and cornstarch in a non-aluminum saucepan; stir well. Gradually add apricot nectar and brandy. Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Serve warm. Yield: 2 cups sauce.
Streamed puddings are absolutely great, as is this one, & we loved everything about it! I did change one thing just slightly in that I used an apricot brandy for the brandy, giving it an even more intense apricot flavor! One thing to note, though ~ As of this date, the sauce ingredients aren't listed with the other ingredients, so they aren't included in the Nutrition Facts! But, that doesn't detract from this pudding's wonderful taste! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Bargain Basement tag]