Recipe by R. Warren Meddoff
Fast, Easy, & Elegant recipe. Greek in flavor, suitable for company or every day dining.
Top Review by Zurie
I haven't made this, but this is one of the few "genuinely" Med. recipes in the contest, and reading it is enough to know that it will be delicious and slightly different with that ouzo flavour! I also like the relative simplicity -- which is what Med food is usually about.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs shrimp, 16/20, peeled, deveined and butterflied
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup capers, drained and rinsed
- 1 lb Italian plum tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 4 green onions, whites and green, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped fine
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup warmed ouzo
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large non-reactive sauté pan heat olive oil until fragrant. Add onions and garlic and sauté until translucent but not browned.
- Add capers, tomatoes, wine, lemon juice and spices, heat until rapidly simmering.
- Add shrimp and crumble feta cheese into mixture. Cook uncovered until shrimp is done.
- Remove from heat and pour Ouzo onto the mixture and ignite with a match. When flames have died, stir mixture and serve immediately over white rice.