1/2 Photos of Flaky Thin Crust Chicago Inspired Pizza
1 hr 20 mins
Iris' Best's Note:
This recipe is one i have tweaked and re-tweaked over time to ultimately perfect my favorite 2 components in a pizza. A deliciously flaky thin crust, and a tomato sauce similar to that of a traditional Chicago deep dish pizza. Rich and sweet. Being from Chicago, it's only natural.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For The Crust
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed and chilled
- 2/3 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast
For the Sauce
- 1Whisk together the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add the cubed, chilled butter and using your fingers, work the butter into the flour mixture until it is mostly incorporated, you want to have small butter lumps. Add the chopped garlic. In a large measuring cup, combine the warm water and instant yeast. Add to the flour mixture and, using a fork, combine until the mixture is evenly moistened. Knead the dough in your hands or on a lightly floured surface for one minute or so until the dough is smooth. Divide the dough in two, shape into balls, cover with a damp kitchen towel, and let rest for at least 30 minutes.
- 2While the dough sits, you can start on the tomato sauce. In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring for about 30 seconds. Add the herbs, salt, and both black and red peppers, and cook, stirring, for another 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, wine and sugar, and bring it all to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until it thickens, usually 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sauce cool before using.
- 3Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (or as hot as your oven will get). Seriously, the hotter the oven, the better. If using a pizza stone, preheat it along with the oven.
- 4It's time to shape the dough. Take one piece of dough and shape into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. I use a rolling pin to make it completely even, but you can also just use your hands (use a light touch). With a fork, prick the entire surface of the dough and bake for approximately 8-10 minutes.
- 5Remove from the oven, and let it cool for 5 minutes. Top with tomato sauce, and add your favorite toppings. Going TOO thick on toppings may result in a soggy crust so be careful. Return to the oven and bake for another 8-12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and begins to brown. Repeat with the second half of dough or store it in your fridge for later!
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flaky Thin Crust Chicago Inspired Pizza
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 558.9
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.6 g
- Cholesterol 61.0 mg
- Sodium 1088.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 8.9 g