1/2 Photos of Flaky Squares
2 hrs 15 mins
This is a Hungarian recipe that is absolutely tasty. I love trying out different fillings with this, and I've been experimenting with lots of them lately. I love using poppy seed filling or almond paste that I find in the baking section of my local grocery. Be as creative as you want, and you won't ever be disappointed!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb Crisco
- 1In a large bowl, combined the sour cream, water, egg, and vinegar.
- 2Stir in flour and salt.
- 3Turn out onto a floured surfaces and knead for approximately 10 minutes.
- 4Let rest for a few minutes.
- 5Roll out to about 1" thick rectangle and spread evenly with 1/3 of the Crisco.
- 6Fold four ways, wrap in wax paper, and refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
- 7Roll dough out again to the same shape as the first time and spread with another 1/3 of the Crisco.
- 8Fold four ways, wrap back in wax paper and refrigerate for another 1/2 hour.
- 9Roll dough out again to the same rectangular shape and spread with remaining Crisco.
- 10Fold four ways, wrap in wax paper, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to over night.
- 11Preheat oven to 425°F.
- 12Roll dough out into a rectangle and cut with a hot knife into 3" squares.
- 13Place squares on cookie sheets and spoon desired filling into the center, leaving at least 1/2 inch dough uncovered by filling.
- 14Bake for 15 minutes on a cookie sheet.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flaky Squares
Serving Size: 1 (1335 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.0
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 12.9 mg
- Sodium 70.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 3.3 g