Recipe by MizEmerilLagasse
This is a Hungarian recipe that is absolutely tasty. I love trying out different fillings with this, and I've been experimenting with lots of them lately. I love using poppy seed filling or almond paste that I find in the baking section of my local grocery. Be as creative as you want, and you won't ever be disappointed!
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb Crisco
- poppy seed filling
- almond paste
- dark chocolate squares
- sour cherry pie filling
- diced apple pie filling
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combined the sour cream, water, egg, and vinegar.
- Stir in flour and salt.
- Turn out onto a floured surfaces and knead for approximately 10 minutes.
- Let rest for a few minutes.
- Roll out to about 1" thick rectangle and spread evenly with 1/3 of the Crisco.
- Fold four ways, wrap in wax paper, and refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
- Roll dough out again to the same shape as the first time and spread with another 1/3 of the Crisco.
- Fold four ways, wrap back in wax paper and refrigerate for another 1/2 hour.
- Roll dough out again to the same rectangular shape and spread with remaining Crisco.
- Fold four ways, wrap in wax paper, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to over night.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Roll dough out into a rectangle and cut with a hot knife into 3" squares.
- Place squares on cookie sheets and spoon desired filling into the center, leaving at least 1/2 inch dough uncovered by filling.
- Bake for 15 minutes on a cookie sheet.