- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, well chilled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons ice water (or more)
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk flour and salt in medium bowl to blend.
- Add butter and shortening: rub in with fingertips or cut in with a pastry blender until dough resembles very coarse meal.
- Sprinkle with a tablespoon of ice water; toss until moist clumps form, sprinklimg with more water by teaspoonful if mixture is dry.
- Gather dough into a ball: flatten into a disk.
- Wrap in plastic and chill at least 1 hour.
- Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated; soften dough slightly at room temperature before using.