Recipe by Shyne
From "A Cook's Tour of Shreveport", compiled by The Junior League of Shreveport, Inc. This is one of my favorite cookbooks. Of all the pie crusts I've made, this is the best.
Top Review by internetnut
I gave this 5 stars. This is a very easy and basic pie crust. This is very good and flaky. I got my copy of this recipe somewhere on the internet. My copy is slightly different. My copy calls for 2 1/4 cup sifted flour, 1 tsp salt, 3/4 cup Crisco shortening (no substitue), 1/3 cup ice water. My recipe does not say to chill the shortening. The directions are slightly different. After forming a ball my recipe says to let it rest a few minutes then to divide it and the rest is the same. Thanks for posting a great pie crust recipe! Christine (internetnut)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour and salt together into bowl.
- Cut chilled shortening into flour until particles are about the size of a pea.
- Add just enough water, a tablespoon at a time, to form a dough which will clean the bowl.
- Divide into 2 balls of dough.
- Roll dough on floured board, fold and refold, and roll again.
- Continue until dough is smooth.
- Handle quickly but gently.
- This crust is good for pre-bake recipes as well as filled pies.
- (The main thing to remember-use chilled shortening and ice water.).