Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This came from the Moutain Network News recipes (www.mnn.net). This flaky crust works for both sweed and savory recipes. Make sure you refridgerate before rolling to maximize flakiness.
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Combine flour, salt and sugar in a processor.
- Using on/off switch, cut in shortening and butter until mixture resembles course meal.
- Beat egg and water in a small bowl and add to flour mixture.
- Process until moist clumps form, adding more water by the teaspoon if dough is dry.
- Gather into a ball and divide in half.
- Flatten each half into a disk.
- Wrap in plastic and refridgerate for at least one hour.
- Can be made upto on day ahead.
- Keep chilled.
- Let dough soften slightly at room temperature before rolling.
I used this recipe for a Dutch Apple Pie and it turned out great. The crust is very light and the flavor is incredible - it just melts in your mouth - no more chewy crusts for me! I'm not sure how you could go wrong with this crust. I will definitely be using this again soon.