24 hrs 15 mins
Dienia B.'s Note:
Secrets of Hungarian Cooking. Boy I was really hoping someone on zaar had already posted this beast, but of course, if they have I couldn't find it. It looks like it was made a lot. If anyone knows something about these bad boys, please feel free to add input. There are 4 filling recipes so if you're wanting those, here they are.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Pot Cheese Filling
Canned Poppy Seed Filling
- 2Mix and blend flour, baking powder, water, vinegar, and egg yolks until dough comes clean of hands. Chill.
- 3Butter Mixture:.
- 4Mix margarine, lard and flour together and allow it to soften.
- 5When dough is chilled, roll it out and spread with butter mixture; fold dough and refrigerate.
- 6Repeat this process 4 times; next day, cut the dough into squares with a hot knife.
- 7Fill with chosen filling.
- 8Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 9Nut Filling:.
- 10Grind nuts.
- 11Beat egg whites until stiff but still moist.
- 12Fold in sugar and nuts carefully.
- 13Add lemon rind.
- 14Pot Cheese filling:.
- 15Mash cottage cheese with fork.
- 16Add sugar, salt and eggs. Mix very well.
- 17Poppyseed Filling:.
- 18Cook poppy seeds, sugar, milk, and butter until thick, for 10 to 15 minutes on low flame.
- 19Add lemon rind.
- 20Cool well before using.
- 21Apricot Filling:.
- 22Cook dried apricots until tender; mash and add sugar to taste.
- 23Drained crushed pineapple may be added.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flaky Hungarian Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 25
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 391.7
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 32.0 mg
- Sodium 229.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 18.4 g
- Protein 9.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh lemon rind