Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
These sound like aromatic, cheesy biscuits with a kick! I was searching for a Hot Cherry Pepper canning recipe and ran across this on www.ilovepickles.com . If you prefer less spice, I am sure sweet cherry peppers would work too. Cannot wait to make them and will let you know if prep time is accurate.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons cherry peppers, seeded and chopped (the red and green hot pickled variety, not the kind in oil)
- 4 slices bacon (cooked crisp and crumbled) or 1⁄4 cup ham (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup milk, chilled
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder and sugar in food processor.
- Blend in shortening by pulsing on and off until mixture resembles coarse corn meal.
- Put mixture in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Stir in cheese, peppers and bacon or ham.
- Add milk and mix until just blended.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead lightly, about 10 turns.
- Roll or pat dough to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut into 2-inch rounds with a biscuit cutter.
- Gather scraps, reshape and cut into rounds.
- Place biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet 1 inch apart.
- Bake in oven for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to cooling rack for 5 to 10 minutes and serve hot.