Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe can be used for almost any double-crusted 9- or 10-inch pie, sweet or savory. If you're making it for a pie that has a single crust, wrap the dough you don't need and freeze it. You can make this ahead too- The pastry can be frozen for up to 1 month.
- In a food processor, combine the flour and salt.
- Add the shortening and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the butter and pulse several times, until the butter is the size of small peas.
- Sprinkle evenly with the ice water and pulse just until the dough comes together.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface and knead lightly once or twice.
- Divide the dough in half; pat each half into a 6-inch disk.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes or overnight.