Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Nice light flaky biscuits. Delicious served warm with a bit of butter on them.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cold, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup shortening, cold, cubed
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Using pastry blender, 2 knives or fingertips, cut in butter and shortening until coarse crumbs with a few larger pieces. Make well in centre; pour in milk all at once. Stir with fork just until dough clings together.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead lightly 10 to 12 times. Pat out into scant ¾ inch thickness. Using 2 ½ inch round cutter, cut out biscuit, dipping cutter in flour between cuts, making sure to cut straight down and not twisting the cutter, which would seal the edges and prevent them from rising fully. Repeat with scraps once.
- Bake on ungreased or parchment paper-lined baking sheet in 450 degree oven until risen, golden and flaky, about 12 minutes.
Wonderful biscuits!!! I made these for DD and I this morning along with fruit smoothies. I only made 1/4 of the recipe for the 2 of us and used my mini processor to cut in the butter and shortening, so easy. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for Newest Tag Game.