Light and flakey southern style biscuits. Easy once you get the hang of it
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, , cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening or 3 tablespoons chilled lard
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk (, or regular milk if desired)
- 1Place a rack in the center of your oven, Pre heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- 2Mix first dry ingredients in a large bowl or in the food processor fitted with steel blade.
- 3Add cold butter and shortening; with your fingertips or a pastry blender (or in the food processor), mix or process butter and shortening into dry ingredients, until the mixture resembles dry oatmeal.
- 4If using a food processor, transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- 5Stir in milk with a rubber spatula or fork until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- 6Let dough rest for 1 minute, then dump it on a floured work surface.
- 7Gently Roll the dough into a rough 6-by-10-inch rectangle 1/2-inch thick.
- 8With a knife cut rectangle three times across and five times down to form 15, 2"x2" rectangular biscuits.
- 9Place dough 1 1/2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet; brush dough tops with melted butter or milk.
- 10Bake until biscuits are lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 11Serve immediately.
- 12Cool left overs, wrap with plastic wrap and freeze as soon as possible.
- 14There's two things to remember when making biscuits.
- 15-Keepthings cold so the butter does not melt.
- 16The process of cutting the butter into the flour actually coats the flour with a light layer of grease to prevent it from absorbing liquid and creating gluten-- which will make the product tough and more bread like.
- 17If the butter starts to get soft while working it into the flour then refrigerate the batch for 20 mins before going on.
- 18-Workfast and gently.
- 19Only mix as much as necessary to do the job.
- 20Over working dough develops gluten.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flaky Biscuits
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.8
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 31.5 mg
- Sodium 463.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 4.6 g