Recipe by YnkyGrlDwndr
From "Country Fair Cookbook" which has blue ribbon winning recipes from all over America prior to 1975.
Top Review by loof
Great light and tender biscuits! The dough was very soft which gave a nice texture to the biscuits. I made half of the recipe and got 5 medium-sized biscuits. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 beaten egg
- 2⁄3 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together.
- Cut in shortening with pastry cutter or two knives (or just rub in with fingers)until it resembles a course meal.
- Combine egg and milk.
- Add this to the flour mixture all at once, stirring just enough with fork to make a soft dough that sticks together.
- Knead lightly 15 times on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll to 3/4" (2cm) thickness and cut with 2" (5cm) cutter, placing 1" (2.5cm) apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.