Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From "Country Fair Cookbook" which has blue ribbon winning recipes from all over America prior to 1975.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together.
- Cut in shortening with pastry cutter or two knives (or just rub in with fingers)until it resembles a course meal.
- Combine egg and milk.
- Add this to the flour mixture all at once, stirring just enough with fork to make a soft dough that sticks together.
- Knead lightly 15 times on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll to 3/4" (2cm) thickness and cut with 2" (5cm) cutter, placing 1" (2.5cm) apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
Great light and tender biscuits! The dough was very soft which gave a nice texture to the biscuits. I made half of the recipe and got 5 medium-sized biscuits. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
These are very flaky and tender. They didn't rise quite as much as I had anticipated but they are still delicious. I cut the recipe in half and got 4 biscuits. Made for *PAC Spring 2009*