Recipe by katie in the UP
This was the Pillsbury Bake Off winner a couple of years ago...it was actually in the Kids division...we love it!! It makes a huge torte...even though it looks like a half...I have doubled the recipe for large gatherings. It melts in your mouth!!!
- 1 (2 count) packagepillsbury pie crusts, softened
- 3 medium granny smith apples, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (16 ounce) canpillsbury creamy supreme coconut pecan frosting
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 450. Unfold both crusts; cut each crust in half. Place crust halves on ungreased cookie sheets; prick several times with fork. Bake at 450 for 6 to 8 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool while preparing filling.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, combine apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, butter and vanilla; mix well. Cover; microwave on high for 3 minutes. Stir; microwave for an additional 3 to 6 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring once half way through cooking. Place 1/2 cup of the frosting in small microwave safe bowl; set aside. Add remaining frosting to apple mixture; stir until apples are coated. Place on crust half in center of ungreased cookie sheet. Spread with 1/3 of apple mixture (approx 1 cup); sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the pecans. Top with 2nd crust half; pressing lightly. Repeat layers ending with 4th crust half. Cover loosely with foil.
- Bake at 450 for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake an additional 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown. Microwave reserved frosting on high for 20 to 30 seconds or until melted. Pour over top of torte; spread to edges. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup pecans, cool 15 minutes. To serve, cut into wedges. If desired serve with ice cream or whipped topping.
- This makes a huge torte -- even though it looks like only half!